Reunion 2015: Somerset, NJ
This reunion has already taken place. Click here for photos from the gathering.
one day reunion, exploring Wyckoff family history and heritage. Cousins will gather for a family picnic in Colonial Park and visit the Wyckoff Garretson House for a a special tour with the Meadows Foundation. First built by John Wyckoff (Cornelius’s son, Pieter & Grietje’s grandson) in 1730, the Dutch frame structure offers striking similarities to the original Homestead. the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House.
Bring the whole family! Activities for kids will include mini-golf, paddle boating and games. Bring a ball or games to play in the grass. We will have lunch at the picnic grove (11-2). In the spirit of a family gathering, please bring drinks or desserts.
- 11 am: Family gathering, picnic, annual meeting in Colonial Park, Somerset NJ
- 2 pm: Drive to Wyckoff-Garretson House
- 2:30 pm: Tour and Visit of Wyckoff-Garretson House
- 4 pm Goodbyes
How to Register
Email Melissa at email@example.com to register for the free Wyckoff Family Reunion. Please include the following information in a brief e-mail:
- Family Name(s)
- e-mail address, phone number, and home address
- How many people in your party
- How many children and children’s ages
- Do you need any help with transportation between the park and the house
- What you can (hope to) contribute to the potluck picnic
What to Bring
The picnic lunch is generously provided by the Wyckoff House & Association Board of Directors. In the spirit of a family gathering, we invite cousins and attendees to bring drinks and desserts.
The picnic area will be covered by a pavilion, but please dress for outdoor weather (average this time of year is in the low 60s). Bring a camera, water, good spirits and anything you would want to share with the cousins. We recommend sturdy walking shoes as there are areas of the park that are not paved.
The picnic and meeting will take place in Colonial Park in Somerset, NJ from 11 am to 2 pm. Please park in Parking Lot G on Mettlers Road make your way behind to the ball field to Pine Picnic Grove. See #3 on this park map. The picnic area is covered by a large pavilion and the event will take place rain or shine.
At 2:30 pm we will visit the Wyckoff-Garretson House located at 215 South Middlebush Road in Somerset, NJ.
The easiest way to visit Somerset, NJ is by car. It is roughly a 1.25 hour drive from both New York City and Philadelphia. There is public transportation from New York City to nearby town of Bridgwater. We recommend using a GPS or Google Maps for directions from your unique location. See the following links for general guidelines:
Public Transportation from New York City
- Take NJ Transit NORTH JERSEY COAST LINE from NY PENN STATION to NEWARK PENN STATION– Departs at 8:07am, 9:07am, 10:07am, etc. (20 min)
- Take NJ Transit RARITAN LINE to BRIDGEWATER– Departs at 8:38am, 9:38am, 10:38am, etc. (50 min)
- Take a Taxi from Bridgewater station to Colonial Park (15 min, 7 miles)
The drive between the picnic at Colonial Park and the Wyckoff-Garretson House visit will take about 8 minutes. If you do not have a car, let us know so we can arrange a carpool. We will be heading over to the house around 2:15pm.
- Turn left on Mettlers Road out of parking lot
- Drive 0.7 miles south on Mettlers Road
- Turn Left on Amwell Rd. (514)
- Drive about 2 miles east on Amwell Rd. and at Resta’s Car Care, turn right to stay on Amwell Rd.
- Continue on Amwell Road for another 0.8 miles
- Turn right on South Middlebush Rd. (Stage House Tavern is on your left)
- Continue on South Middlebush Rd. for 1 mile and you will see the Wyckoff-Garretson house on your right with a brown sign.
- Turn into the driveway, drive up hill to the Wagon Barn directly ahead and park on the left of the barn.
Make a Weekend of It
If you are coming from out of town and want to make a weekend out of it, there are many interesting things to do nearby. Nearby hotels are very affordable. Snag tickets to Last Comic Standing Saturday evening in Somerset.
Perhaps our New Jersey cousins will have some more recommendations of things to do and see nearby!